Not all fisheries dependent data tell the same story. Runcie et al. 2018 in Fisheries Oceanography shows how different fisheries and different gears show different preferences when fit with habitat models. It highlights an inherent difficulty in understanding the underlying habitat of a highly migratory predator from spatially restricted datasets.
- New publication: “Heirarchical foraging movement of humpback whales relative to the structure of their prey,” by Theresa Kirchner
- New publication by Heather Welch titled “Environmental indicators to reduce loggerhead turtle bycatch offshore of Southern California”
- New upwelling indices available for California Current (publication by Mike Jacox)
- Welcome Dr. Stefan Koenigstein to Monterey!
- New publication titled “Practical considerations for operationalizing dynamic management tools” by Heather Welch
- New publication in CJFAS by Isaac Schroeder on “Source water variability as a driver of rockfish recruitment in the California Current Ecosystem”
- Welcome Dr. Megan Cimino to Monterey!
- Project website goes live for the Future Seas project!
- New publication in Proceedings in the Royal Society B titled “Mesoscale activity facilitates energy gain in a top predator.”